Let's take a look at one of our more popular COVID-19 stories: MY 19-YEAR-OLD DAUGHTER HAD COVID-19.....

Isis Story: (Story written by mom, Melissa Munoz), Wife and Mother , Cashier, (Indio, California)

ISIS in 2019, during her high-school graduation.

Our COVID story started on July 5th, when our 19 year old daughter, Isis, started to complain of feeling nauseous. She is a type 1 diabetic, so that was not an unusual symptom for her to feel, if her sugar was high. About 3 days later she started to feel worse. Her sugar wouldn't come down, she was getting leg and foot pain, and she was nauseous and had thrown up. She was also losing weight.

Her father, my husband of 13 years, Anthony, and I decided she needed to go to the hospital, in case she was going into DKA (Diabetic ketoacidosis (DKA) is a life-threatening problem that affects people with diabetes. It occurs when the body starts breaking down fat at a rate that is much too fast. The liver processes the fat into a fuel called ketones, which causes the blood to become acidic).  

I took her to John F. Kennedy Memorial hospital, near our home. As you may know, anyone going into the ER or hospital, during this pandemic, cannot have family members or friends there with them. She had to go into the Emergency room alone, for evaluation, while I waited for her in the car.

Isis didn't want me to leave her because she was scared, but we had no choice; she is considered an adult and she had to do alone. While they were running tests on her, we communicated by text message, so she could keep me informed on what was going on. The ER doctors never did a COVID test on her, as we believe they thought she was too young to have contracted it and they thought her issue was DKA.

They admitted her that night, July 8th, because she was dehydrated, her O2 levels were dropping to 97%, her heart-rate was faster than normal and she had severe nausea. We continued to text and FACE-TIME with her, while she was there, to help her stay calm and to let her know everything would be OK.

After she was discharged on July 10th, the days turned into months and she still wasn't feeling any better. Her nausea would still come and go. She would occasionally throw up but it was usually just once every week or so. I took her to get tested just in case it was the Coronavirus, but her result came back negative.

(My husband Anthony and I work for a retail store, and retail stores are considered "essential businesses", so we had to continue to go to work, even when the Coronavirus started hitting our city. We are so afraid that by continuing to work, we might have brought it home and passed it onto her; of course there is no way that we could know that for sure.)

The pain in her legs was getting worse by the week. She continued to lose weight. By the 3rd week of August she began to also develop insomnia and would break down and cry every night, as she only wanted to sleep and it was impossible for her.

Due to her symptoms, and the fact that our employer felt that we may have been exposed, we were told that we needed to quarantine for 2 weeks, and get a negative COVID-19 test, after the 14 days of isolation, in order to return to work. We sent my son, (Isis's 19 year old twin brother), Damian, to my mother's house and my younger 16 year old daughter, Tate, to a friend's house for the full 2 weeks. My husband and I stayed with Isis at home, where we quarantined with her and our faithful companion, pup, Alucard.

During the quarantine period, Isis ended up developing pneumonia in both lungs. When she started complaining of shortness of breath, we took her right away to my family Doctor, Dr. Roberto Perez- Lopez, who immediately diagnosed her with a Coronavirus infection; and treated her with a steroid shot and Bredelin for the pneumonia.

At the writing of this story, September 7th, she is recovered and mainly back to normal, with the exception of slight after-effects of leg pain and occasional insomnia .

The advice that our family has for those who have not been infected by COVID-19, is don't ignore your symptoms. Listen to your gut. It is so much safer to be a little paranoid than ignore it and end up in the hospital on a ventilator; immediate medical treatment with medication, is the best course of action, we were told, to keep the virus from getting further into your system and possibly infecting you to the point of no return.

Isis and I playing around on Snap-chat, so blessed that she recovered from this horrible virus.

Me, my 19 year old son, Damian, and my husband, Anthony, at Damian & Isis's high-school graduation in 2019.

Damian and my 16 year old daughter, Tate

Our faithful quarantine companion, Alucard


To share a True Story of COVID-19 with me or a Tribute Story to a lost loved one, email me at

750 views0 comments